Thursday, May 19, 2011

CDC's Zombie Apocalypse Survial Guide

cc-Lindsey T
Yes, it's true the CDC has a plan in place for the enviable day our deceased relatives rise up from the ground to feast on our brains. Don't believe me? You can read the Preparedness 101: Zombie Apocalypse guide right on the CDC's website.Here's a nice quote to show just how serious they really are:
"If zombies did start roaming the streets, CDC would conduct an investigation much like any other disease outbreak. CDC would provide technical assistance to cities, states, or international partners dealing with a zombie infestation."

CDC's actual Zombie preparedness badge.
It goes on to talk about how they'll use quarantines to maintain an an 'infection control area'. Which interestingly enough, is exactly what happens to Nate and Misty in my upcoming novel, Super Zombie Juice Mega Bomb--they get stuck on the wrong side of the 'infection control area' (hey agents, it's still available, but I've got 2 fulls and a partial out, so you better act quick).
Now, since this is a government guide, they enviably end up giving some bad advice; like when they advise that families, "Pick one place right outside your home" for a meeting place, they suggest the mailbox.
Okay, are Zombies somehow reluctant to attack people gathered around mailboxes?
Honestly, the guide is a little tongue in cheek. But they really seem to acknowledge the possibility of a zombie invasion of one sort or another.

Hmmm, I wonder if this would help or hurt the sales of zombie fiction?


5 comments:

  1. OMG, that's just great. Here I was worried that the world was going to end on Saturday. Now I have to worry about zombies too!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes. I forgot about that. I propose anyone who is worried about not getting accepted through the gates of heaven on Sunday can just drop all their assets into my name and I'll personally make sure they are properly distributed to the 'needy'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that was pretty clever of the CDC, but it does make you wonder...

    My daughter says if there is going to be an apocalypse, she hopes its a zombie one because she'll feel like she has a chance with that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's what I liked about zombies as a kid too. If you keep your head about you, you have a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, well. Good to know there's a zombie plan. I ride a bike to work and that is apparently the best mode of transport to escape zombies!

    ReplyDelete